Call: 518-519-3606

March is Poison Prevention Month. Many pet owners know common things that are poisonous for pets. We want to share with you a few common household items that could prove to be fatal for your pet:

  • Cooking spray might seem innocent enough. However, if you have a pet bird, pay attention! The fumes from non-stick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens can be dangerous (or even deadly) to your pet bird. While they might keep things cleaner for you, they can be deadly to your feathered friend.
  • Over-the-counter drugs can be really beneficial for some human relief. Have a headache? A Tylenol could help you! However, if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication, you could face a serious pet health emergency. There are many human medicines that could harm your pet. These medicines include aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. If you have any questions about these, be sure to ask us at your next appointment.
  • Strings are common, but we forget how dangerous they can be. Your pet will struggle if those strings are swallowed. Stringy items including yarn, rubber bands, and dental floss are all things to watch out for. Be careful of anything that can be easily swallowed by your pet, causing intestinal blockages or even strangulation, both of which can be fatal.
  • Repellents are nice for your skin, but could harm your pet. Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest. However, even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us which flea and tick products are the absolute best for your pets.

If you suspect your pet has gotten into something they shouldn’t have, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline 24 hours per day, 7 days per week or contact us! Chathams Small Animal Hospital wishes you and your furry (or feathery) friend a safe March!