5 Potentially Dangerous Toxins Lurking in Your Household That Could Harm Your Pet
To recognize National Animal Poison Prevention Week, taking place from March 19 to 25th, our team feels compelled to spread the word about some of the most hazardous household items that can be dangerous for your furry friends.
Every household should take steps to protect their pets, especially from common hazards like medication. Food-motivated dogs may scavenge through guests’ suitcases or counters in search of pills – and a single accidental dose can be lethal. Should your pet ingest any type of medicine, promptly contact an animal poison control hotline for assistance. Don’t let one careless mistake lead to unnecessary tragedy; safeguard your furry loved ones with preventative measures today!
#2: Household chemicals
Take steps to ensure your furry friends don’t come into contact with dangerous chemicals in the home. Keep many common household products securely out of paws’ reach, such as:
- Cleaning products
- Aerosol air fresheners and other products
- Windshield washer fluid
- Nail polish remover
Your pet may find the kitchen alluring, but it’s filled with perilous foods. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, and unbaked yeast dough are just a few of the dangerous items that can lead to damaging health issues such as kidney failure and seizures or alcohol poisoning, and extreme hypoglycemia in pets. To ensure your furry friend stays out of trouble while you’re cooking away in the kitchen snap up a secure trash bin to turn off their inquisitive noses from snooping around for food!
Be aware that a lot of the houseplants we enjoy, and even the substances used to help them grow, can be potentially dangerous for our pets. Lilies are especially hazardous to cats – their pollen alone is enough to make them sick or even cause death! Other popular plants such as dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants also present risks. If you’re looking to add some outdoor greenery as well like ivy or oleander take time to look up ASPCA’s toxic plant list first, so your furry friends stay safe around flowers!
#5: Batteries and coins
Ingesting batteries or coins can cause metal poisoning in animals, and if chewed by your pet, they may suffer chemical burns. Additionally, an intact battery swallowed whole can form a gastrointestinal blockage which is dangerous to their health.
If you think your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance, contact our team immediately.